First off this is my second time typing this because the first one disappeared into the black whole of the internet. So I seem short and sweet and to the point that it why. Haha. What I got from the text is that text can be frustrating for students if they do not understand what the text is conveying or if it is to over their head. How many times have we read material (especially in our major) and ask ourselves what they are talking about. I know that when this happens I become easily frustrated and want to give up and not want to continue to read. This is also true for students. If they become frustrated with text they will shut down.
One thing that I did find interesting in text was about digital text (p.132). In this day in age we know that we live in a digital world. Kids are automatically going to be more drawn to something if it is on a computer. By having students even read off the computer it is going to hold their attention longer. For example, if a student is reading an article on caribou and there is a video of the caribou it will obviously intrigue them more.
One Blog that I found interesting through bloglines was a blog that talked about how a school in Britain changed their student’s behavior by having Victorian styles rules. Its very interesting. Also through bloglines I found a very good website: elementary-teacher-reesources.com
Monday, February 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Chrissy,
ReplyDeleteI'm super intrigued with your comment that "Kids are automatically going to be more drawn to something if it is on a computer." Why do you think this is? Are there cons to computer use as well? Unrelated, consider hyperlinking the websites your refer to in you posting for others to navigate to. John
I completely agree with you about challenging texts and computers. If I feel a reading assignment is too hard, I usually will not understand the content information. I am so glad computers are becoming more common in today’s schools. I can remember being little and being so excited about going to the computer lab. I think that standards will be raised when classrooms use computers consistently. Read my blog!!! I talked about a lot of the same things. What was the blog’s website address about the Victorians style rules?
ReplyDelete