Monday, March 30, 2009

Ch. 11

I found that this chapter was very When we sit back and think about how much writing is an everyday part of our lives we can see that it is used in an enormous amount of things outside of the classroom. I feel that we are not prepared when we exit high school for all the things that we will use writing for as we mature into adults. Conley points out (p.307) that in high school we are taught to write simply five paragraph papers. All our papers consisted of an opening, three middle paragraphs, and then a conclusion. This did not at all prepare us for our college career. Just in the last week we were assigned a 6-12 page paper. How are we suppose to make it five paragraphs like we are been taught? It’s impossible. As a future teacher I believe that it is important for students to reflect on their experiences as students as well as things that are going on in their lives. I believe that we should also teach them alterative ways to use writing in their everyday lives. By using writing in these ways students will be more prepared entering into college as well as their adult lives. imformational and can apply to us as teachers in many ways.

2 comments:

  1. As evident in my blog, I feel the same way. The biggest problem with writing in high school is trying to apply it after high school is over. Even if College is not the road taken, how often is one required to write something that only allows five paragraphs with an intro, body, and conclusion. Although this method of teaching writing can be very helpful, I think that it is something that should be built upon. This type of instruction should be an introduction to the writing process, which will allow students to get their foot in the door or composing written works. Unfortunately this is usually the only writing structure students are exposed to in High School and become stuck when embarking on future endeavors. There are several ways to fix this don't you think? For example, exposure to writing that will occur in the future for students can really break the fiver paragraph stereotype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word. I totally agree, and in my blog I also addressed the issue of not being prepared in high school for college writing. They taught 5 paragraph essays like it was the only kind of writing we would ever need to know, which is ridiculous. But nice post, it's pretty much the same thing that I took from this chapter.

    ReplyDelete