Sunday, March 1, 2009
Chapter 7
I particularly enjoyed the section on The Prior Knowledge- Motivation Connection (p.190). This section discusses the importance of connecting students various prior knowledge and using this to motivate students. Students have knowledge from family, community, and school experience that a skillful teacher can take and apply to what students are learning. When I began to think about this I noticed that this can be used from kindergarten and even apply to us now in college. Whenever a teacher tells a story that I can connect to I automatically become interested in what they are saying, then this leads me to wanting to know more about the topic. As we grow we enquire more and more prior knowledge and I believe as teacher we should use this to our advantage to engage our students and hold their attention.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Applying prior knowledge from family, community, and school are great ways to motivate students. What are some ways a teacher can effectively use prior knowledge to motivate students in learning, especially with new and difficult concepts? Connecting prior knowledge, new knowledge, and motivation to each student's interest is how many teachers pull students in. But with students' interests being so diverse how can we as teachers meet all of our students' interests? This can also be asked with motivation since some students are motivated differently? Motivation seems easy to us but could be very difficult depending on the child.
ReplyDelete